craft verb \'kraft\ to create with care, skill and intention



Thursday, March 3, 2011

Planting plans

Helloooo! It's time to tackle today's gardening assignment: to figure out which plants to start early indoors, which plants to direct-seed outside, and which plants to plan on purchasing as seedlings. I haven't bought any seeds this year because I have so many leftover from 2009 and 2010 (even though I didn't get any of them planted last year). So, I was able to use the information on the back of the seed packets to help me figure things out. And, I'm going rogue on a couple of things (cucumbers and spinach). Since I'm using a seedling tray with little soil "pods" to start my seeds, I can transplant the seedlings to the garden without disturbing the roots. This may turn out to be a mistake, but I can always direct-seed later if my experiment flops.

Plants to start indoors: cucumbers, peppers, spinach, broccoli, chard, kale, tomatoes, calendula, dill

Plants to direct seed: carrots, beets, mesclun lettuce mix, melons

Plants to purchase as seedlings: mints, basil, rosemary, cilantro, parsley

One more planning tidbit before I break out my seedling tray tomorrow. My tray has 72 little cups with soil pods. I got it at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago really cheap. You can use the tray over and over and just buy the little soil pod refills. Anyway, with the plans I have laid out here, I will not be starting anywhere near 72 plants. But I do have plenty of seeds and it just so happens that I think plants make lovely gifts. So, I'm going to think about spring/early summer gifting opportunities today before I start my indoor planting tomorrow.

How are your plans coming? Are you ready to start planting?
~B

No comments: