craft verb \'kraft\ to create with care, skill and intention



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Resolution check-in

Wow! I can't believe January is already gone! But it is, and so it is time for me to do a little progress report on my New Year's resolutions.

Resolution #1 - To be more intentional about giving. We're working on it. We are working on building our giving bank, but we haven't chosen organizations we would like to support. Since cleaning out my yarn stash, I have been working on making knit baby caps. Two of my kiddos got curious about my cap-making and decided to join in, so they have been making caps on their Knifty Knitters. Fun!

Resolution #2 - To be more accepting of people (including myself.) Well, I'm working on it and that's about all I can say for myself on this one. It's hard!!!

Resolution #3 - To focus more on how to fulfill my kids' emotional needs and focus less on how my kids could fulfill my emotional needs. I think I am making progress in this area, but I have a long way to go still. As an adoptive parent, I run into situations a lot where I get frustrated because I feel like a glorified babysitter instead of a mom. This is mostly the case with the kids who were older when they came into our lives. But the thing is, it's not my kids' job to make me feel mom-ish. So, that's what this resolution is about. I'm trying to let go of feeling that our relationships are supposed to "look" a certain way and instead embrace the possibility of having the best relationship I can with each of my children. It's also important for me to accept that each relationship will look and feel different from the others and that that's okay, too.

Resolution #4 - To work throughout the year on handmade gifts instead of scrambling at the last minute! Believe it or not, I have already ordered the supplies for several gifts for Christmas 2011. I know that's only half of the deal...I still have to work on the projects (and actually finish them!). But even just having part of the equation under control is progress for me!

Resolution #5 - To stock my etsy store. I'm really excited about this one because I just finished the first item that I intend to list in my store. It's a scarf made from the most fabulous yarn I have ever used. It's Noro Iro, which is a blend of 75% wool and 25% silk that is hand-spun and hand-dyed in Japan. It was a lot of fun to work with and I'm thrilled with the finished scarf. So thrilled that I thought about just keeping it for myself :) But no, I will put it in the store. I just have to take pictures and list it, which I plan to do in the next couple of weeks.

I'm further along on some resolutions than on others, but even just making myself continue to be aware of these issues I need to work on (and this is in no way an exhaustive list!) is a step in the right direction. In the past I have made resolutions on January 1st and then moved on by January 2nd. But committing to monthly check-ins on my progress forces me to stay focused.

How do you keep yourself focused on your goals? And how are you coming on your resolutions?

~B

No comments: