craft verb \'kraft\ to create with care, skill and intention



Sunday, May 29, 2011

My Perfect Date Night!

My mom had the kids over to spend the night yesterday which means that The Hubs and I got to enjoy some much-needed alone time. A couple of weeks ago the kids went to my in-laws' house for the night and I was so tired that I fell asleep on the couch at 6:00 while watching a movie and slept until 9:00 the next morning. Yeah, I am one hot date :) But last night we had a perfect date night.

Before kids, The Hubs and I had evenings like this all the time. This wouldn't have been anything special, it would have been, like, a Tuesday night or something. Now that we have kids, a lot has changed. Of course I love my kids, but I sometimes often long for that feeling of The Years Before Kids. So last night, we had dinner at the best place in town.

We had drinks and appetizers. We spoke in full sentences with NO rhyming words whatsoever.

We got to hand-pick our steaks (rib-eye for me and KC strip for The Hubs).

They were cooked to perfection by the resident Grill Master.




Meanwhile, in the kitchen, someone slaved to prepare the perfect side dishes.

You know what? Before kids, the Caesar salad would have been dressed with homemade dressing and the fries hand-cut from actual whole potatoes. The appetizer would have been homemade hummus and pita chips or bruschetta with toasted baguette slices (and the baguette would possibly have been homemade as well) instead of store-bought 7-layer dip and a bag of tortilla chips. But I didn't want to spend time in the kitchen, I wanted to spend time with The Hubs!

But when you sit down with your favoritest person in the whole world to a dinner that looks like this, it's hard to find much to complain about! There was a time when I thought that having EVERY single part of the meal be made from scratch was paramount to having a great dinner. I now know that the company is a much more important factor! I am so blessed to be married to someone who, after all these years (8 adventure-filled ones), is still the person I most want to hang out with! 


Of course, a perfectly cooked steak doesn't hurt either :)

And finally, because one of the benefits of dining in is that man's best friend can join you:

This is Max. He's been feeling a little neglected since the cat has had so much more blog exposure than him. But Max just doesn't provide me with as many bloggable moments as Lucky does. Max always looks pretty much like this. He's a real good dog. He's sweet and loyal, a lap-dog in a 110 pound body, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he is definitely a very good dog.

Ooh - ooh - ooh! In these pics is a sneak peek at a fun project I hope to complete and share with you in just a few days. I hope you are all having a great weekend. Try to work in a date night if you can :) You deserve it!

~B




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seems like you had an awesome date night! :)

Dollie

Crazy Wonderful said...

I soooo love relaxed date nights like that, and I was totally drooling over the pictures of the steaks :D Gorgeous pup by the way. We thought we had it bad having an 80 lb. wanna be lap dog, ha! Can't wait to see your project!